Monday, July 23, 2007

Lighthouse

I went to college with this guy that never seemed to lose his cool. No matter what was thrown at us, he didn't let it get to him. Of course he is a human being, so he would get frustrated or upset from time to time, but he never dwelled upon it. He simply wouldn't let the negativity take root. He never buried it deep inside only to blow up later, rather he really seemed to let it flow right past him...like wind blowing around a lighthouse.

On top of that, he was always smiling. I know what you are thinking, after all it was college so maybe he was on something. But I don't think so because now we work together and he hasn't changed a bit. In fact, there's a lot more to get frustrated with at work than there ever was in college and it still doesn't faze him. Since I met him and to this day, I admire that quality to no end. The time has come for me to try and emulate that trait. I need to do this in order to become a better role model for my girls before its too late.

I've met other people like my friend from college, but their inner strength and patience comes from a love of Jesus Christ. That's terrific and I am happy for them, but I'm an agnostic so that's not really an option for me. I need a more pragmatic approach; therefore, I'm going to start practicing at work.

One person at work in particular really tries my patience. Communication with this person is often frustrating and drains me of all patience. I can literally feel arteries hardening within two minutes of "conversation". Rather than give this person so much power over my life, I'll respond instead of reacting. I'll do that by remembering that she is human too. I don't have to like her, I just have to remember that she's got problems just like I do. Looking from 30,000 feet, we're all just squirrels trying to get a nut, right? If I can do that, then maybe I can become a lighthouse myself. And if I can become a lighthouse, then maybe I can raise a couple of them too.

5 comments:

Dave said...

Brian, thanks for your very special blog post. But seriously, I really enjoyed reading it in contrast to your typical hilarious (and also insightful) blog posts.

I can definitely relate with you; Jim and I often discuss how we admire all of our close friends in different ways, and how we really lucked out forming such a strong group of college friends that are all so talented and fun to be around.

Kayleen said...

I agree Brian, great post. I think my biggest problem on this subject is letting people get to me. This often happens when I fail to stand up for what I really want/believe, which is more often then I'd like. If I could work on that then I bet I could get rid of a lot of the frustration that I have from time to time.

I think the fact that you are setting this goal for yourself is a pretty good indication of the kind of father you are and will continue to be.

Brian said...

Thanks, Guys. I do appreciate your positive feedback. It's funny how people can impact your lives. This all started because of an old-timer I know (and like) at work. He asked me "what kind of people do you want your kids to grow up into?" [insert dramatic pause while I pondered] Then he asked "well what are you going to do to make that happen?" Such simple questions, but they hit me like the cannonball hit Homer's stomach during the Hullabalooza tour. I haven't been able to stop thinking about those questions since.

Perhaps exercise is good for developing patience and the resolve for standing up for ourselves. As you'll see in today's post, I could use some.

Thanks again, Dave and Katie. I appreciate your postings very much.

b

Anonymous said...

I love your Lighthouse post. If half the young parents I know realized what an awesome privilege and responsibility it is to be a parent and put your kind of effort into it, we would have a much better world. For some of us, our contibution to this world may not seem like much - but if we can raise great kids we've done a very good thing!

And, you know, now that I think about it, interacting with your young children is not that much differnt then interacting with your co-workers. Listen more then you speak, "appear" to stay calm, and and say what you want to happen then stick to it!

yup - forgot my passwork again! Glad you accept anonymous posts.

Katie's Mom

Brian said...

Thank you very much, Katie's Mom. That was very sweet of you. Whenever parents with proven track records offer suggestions, guidance or advice I take notice. This is what I'm taking away from your post: Listen, chill out, and follow through on promises. Very solid advice indeed. Thank you.