Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Decisions Decisions...

So I met my new teacher for the first time today. I like her a lot because her philosophy is rooted in the fundamentals. My first homework consists of performing D Throws, Double C's and Double E's up and down the scale not from memory but from reading sheet music. The sheet music she supplied only consists of the first half of the scale (going up) so I'm also tasked with writing the music down on paper going in both directions of the scale. I'll post a picture of that when complete and a video of me playing these exercises. These drills are tough, so right now I sound like crap, but I know I'll get better with practice. The plan is to take another video just prior to my next lesson in one month. It'll be interesting to contrast my skills at each of these "video" points.

Having met my new teacher has gotten me even more enthusiastic about learning to play the pipes in hopes of one day becoming a full-blown professional. It's also got me contemplating whether or not it's worth it to join the band this early in the process. Although the guy who gave me my first two lessons is awesome and taught me so much in such a short amount of time, it seems their goal is to get me playing songs as fast as possible. But my goal is to become a good bagpiper, regardless of the song, which seems to conflict with their goal. On top of that, it's an hour drive one way to see the band and the lesson lasts only a half hour whereas my new teacher is 5 minutes away from my job. On the other hand, they are so cool! Argghhh, decisions decisions...

Making the decision to stick it out with the band is tough, because I would like to be a part of the group as well as a solo piper. I think I know what I'm gonna do, but I'm curious to see what you think.....Pipe the Vote!

5 comments:

Bizut said...

What would Han do?

Northwest Junior Pipe Band said...

Spend a couple months focused on the pipes, but swing by practice occasionally. You've hopefully got a long career ahead of you and don't need to make snap decisions. Tell the band you're interested in playing with them if you can "pass muster" during either the nearest competition season or the next one, but that you want to really focus on the fundamentals and do everything you can to become a great piper so you're a bigger asset to them in the long run.

It takes a long time to be really good at this. :) Focus on what feels best for the long term.

Brian said...

Dear Craig - I have no idea what Han would do, because I am nowhere near as manly as Han. Not even in my fantasies am I as ruggedly handsome with such chauvanistic charm. Thanks for reading and posting!

Dear NWJPB - Terrific and sound advice, thank you. That's exactly what I'll do. Thanks for reading and posting. Did you like my rendition of Scots Wha Hae?

Bizut said...

My dear BA, Han would merely don a spiffy vest and go - wait for it - Solo.

Brian said...

Dearest Craig,

Arrrgghhh! That was so easy....Solo! Didn't Han have to make a "Sophie's Choice" in one of those movies? Wasn't it in the end when he gets entomed in some sort of cryogenic thing? That's where I got hung up.

Peace out.