Sunday, September 2, 2007

How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

So, I've been practicing "Scots Wha Hae Wi' Wallace Bled", which translates to "Scots who have with Wallace Bled". Here are the lyrics in Scots

'Scots, wha hae wi' Wallace bled,
Scots, wham Bruce has aften led,
Welcome tae your gory bed,
Or tae Victorie!

'Now's the day, and now's the hour:
See the front o' battle lour,
See approach proud Edward's power -
Chains and Slaverie!

'Wha will be a traitor knave?
Wha will fill a coward's grave?
Wha sae base as be a slave?
Let him turn and flee!

'Wha, for Scotland's king and law,
Freedom's sword will strongly draw,
Freeman stand, or Freeman fa',
Let him on wi' me!

'By Oppression's woes and pains!
By your sons in servile chains!
We will drain our dearest veins,
But they shall be free!

'Lay the proud usurpers low!
Tyrants fall in every foe!
Liberty's in every blow! -
Let us do or dee!'

Take a look at the video I promised you of me playing this tune.....



Seriously though, I have been practicing this song a lot, but I suspect that may be put on hold starting Tuesday. On Tuesday, I meet my new bagpipe teacher for the first time. From our conversations, she seems to be a "stickler" for the basics and plans to give me lots of homework which I am excited about. I don't just want to learn how to play songs, I want to learn how to play the bagpipes the right way. Maybe by the time Reid and Soanya finish their 1000 day journey, I'll reach the goal I set out for this blog...my first real public performane on the bagpipes. Anyways, I'll post again after I my first lesson with my new teacher.

Here's the link to the mp3 I used in the video if you're interested.

No comments: